Pilates is often talked about as being 'for the core'. Learning to move easily from a strong and stable centre is certainly part of what it is about. But pilates is so much more - it focuses on bringing whole body wellness. Pilates teaches us to move mindfully and with awareness of how we move through space and interact with the forces around us. Doing so gives us better alignment, smoother movement, more energy and can help us to relieve and heal injuries, pains, niggles and instabilities.
Some of the reasons that people come to me for pilates sessions are because they:
- have musco-skeletal issues (e.g. low back pain, frozen shoulder, SI joint dysfunction, unstable joints, are recovering from disc herniation, osteoporosis, osteopenia...)
- have had ongoing injuries (e.g. piriformis syndrome, plantar fasciitis, IT band issues....)
- they've been told they have 'weak glutes', a 'weak core', 'poor posture'.....
- to improve their self confidence
- to reduce stress
- post-natal recovery
- to improve pelvic floor function
Some people see me for a period of time to deal with a specific issue. Some see me every few weeks to update a programme that they are using their self at home. For some, 1:1 sessions are a transition stage from seeing a physio or osteopath or they can be a place to build confidence before going to a class.